It ain’t easy heading back to the city after a beachside getaway. Add the massive challenge of remembering passwords and a deciphering to-do list from the distant days of 2012 and it can all get a bit uninspiring.
This week is not without great moments, some arranged last year like Weezer (with UMO!) on Friday and an important work meeting catchup with a cool editor on the deck of La Zeppa late this afternoon with a lovely jug of Pimms (pictured). La Zeppa’s Pimms is so very good, and so is the Mairangi Wine Cooler at Britomart Country Club.There seems to be a lovely trend of tasty summer drinks in jugs, which I’m very much enjoying. I have visions of Pimms and garden parties on the lawn at my soon to be home, but I digress.
A long awaited gig, drinks and good company aside, here are some other suggestions for remembering you actually like living in the city – even if you keep seeing pictures of everyone else having swims while you’re wondering why you forgot to bring an afternoon snack to work.
This amazing list of things:
- Go to the tennis (I’m taking the afternoon off work to go to the Heineken Open quarters tomorrow, best plan ever).
- Go to the Baseline Afterparty, a brilliant chance to see some of New Zealand’s finest musicians for a mere $30. And when I’ve been before, it’s pretty easy to watch the final on the big screens or by cleverly standing in the corner near the court. Details: David Dallas, Ruby Frost, Isaac Aesili and Ladi6. Tickets here. I haven’t made a plan yet, but might see you there.
- Borrow a friend and their dog and go for a walk to a cafe.
- Go to Les Miserables, it’s finally here! Here’s my review, if you feel like reading what I thought of it.
- Buy amazing groceries, this always makes me happy. There are some great specials at Nosh right now. Don’t be like me and have a cheese crisis, it’s very disconcerting.
Welcome to the year. Auckland you’re doing it beautifully so far.